So Catherine and I decided that it would be great to put together a podcast episode, recording our conversation about the article – about Podcasting in higher education. We would discuss and analyze the study and take a look at it considering various models of diffusion of technology.
We also thought it would be fun to try this out to get a sense of what the instructors in the study we looked at may have experienced when creating their own podcasts for their University.
It’s not overly edited, so the audio recording of our conversation is pretty true to life…real and raw. Don’t expect any academy award level acting here (we will accept any nominations though… ).
We also included some show notes here on the blog with some of the more detailed info just in case you wanted to take a closer look.
For our classmates…we sent out a link (in UOIT blackboard) to a special enhanced audio version that included some fun visuals 🙂 Check it out.
Or…Here’s the straight audio version.
Hope you enjoy it. We definitely enjoyed putting it together.
Podcast in Education: Episode 1 – Show notes
- Welcome Listeners
- Intro Colin & Catherine – M.Ed students @ UOIT
- Article for discussion:
- Podcasting in Higher Education: What are the Implications for Teaching and Learning? by Steven Lonn & Stephanie D. Teasley from Internet in Higher Education 12 (2009) 88–92
- Article looked and how Podcasts were used at the University of Michigan
- University Stats – Approx 26000 undergraduates, 15000 graduate, 5700 faculty
- Looked at the level and ease of use of podcasts in this context & how they were being used. They did this through surveys of students and course instructors.
- Considering Everett Rogers’ model of stages of adoption
- Student and instructor stages of adoption
- Uses of Podcasts
- Difficulties and fears
- Considering Dr. Ruben Puentedura’s model SAMR
- Substitution vs. Augmentation, Modification & Redefinition
- Expanding uses of Podcasts
- Flipped Environment
- Supplementary vs. Replacement
- Interactive Format
- Podcasting at UOIT
- thoughts and suggestions
- Continue the conversation…
Fredricksen, C. (August 28, 2012). College Students Adopt Mobile across the Board. Retrieved from http://www.emarketer.com/newsroom/index.php/college-students-adopt-mobile-board/
Hippasus.com (2013). Ruben R. Puentedura’s Weblog. [online] Retrieved from: http://www.hippasus.com/rrpweblog/ [Accessed: 3 Apr 2013].
Lonn, S. & Teasley, S. (2009). Podcasting in higher education: what are the implications for teaching and learning? Internet and Higher Education, 12, 88–92. Retrieved from http://journals2.scholarsportal.info.uproxy.library.dc-uoit.ca/tmp/3853939157002555632.pdf
Rogers, E. M. (2003). Diffusion of innovations (5th ed.). New York: Free Press.